About this time of mid-summer, nothing looks so effortlessly chic as the right, light touch of metallic — especially for day. I say DARE to try it – it’s great with the slight tan (or fake tan) you’ve acquired, and makes you look like you have that ultra-cool. spot-on innate fashion sense only the style-blessed seem to radiate. Mix metallic for day with denim, khaki, white, black or grey and you’ll have a hit. Even a color can look great – as long as it’s only one. Think of canary yellow and silver. And, come fall, metallic shines with darker shades like navy, charcoal and ubiquitous black. There are some awesome pieces out there to take this fashion leap of faith with, so jump in. And remember to keep it a light touch — you don’t want people whipping out their sunglasses or a high SPF just to stand next to you…
- JCrew has a super gold dusted metallic skirt for $198.00 that’ll look great with a khaki jacket forwork, or a white tee and flip flops for Saturday am. The same skirt goes out to dinner looking louche with a white silk tank or short-sleeved blouse.
- I spotted a terrific silver sequin tank top at Express and for $29.50,it’s a superb style steal. Really dare to wear it to the office with a navy boyfriend blazer (no gold buttons, though) and navy slim pants or dark rinse jeans. It’ll liven up any gray suit instead of the expected white shirt, and worn with simple white pants, it’s an evening multi-tasker.
- Club Monaco’s newest summer collection includes a silver circle print lame short boyfriend blazer (and also shorts and a sheath dress) that’s a natural with jeans and a white tank for a casual Saturday lunch, shopping or cocktail party. Throw it over white shorts for a dressed-up bbq, and a white slim skirt and gray tee for work. Getting the idea metallic’s a lot more versatile than you thought?
- Zara’s silvery white metallic tee dress is a no brainer for under a white linen jacket or thin gray cotton cardigan for day, and shines on it’s own for fancier moments.
- Banana Republic has a really stylish silver shot cotton pleated bubble skirt for $45.00 that’s a winner for work with a neutral jacket or sweater, and
dresses up nicely for night.
Accessories count as heavy metal-lica, too. Club Monaco’s silver beaded scarf and silver skinny belt are totally right as accent pieces day or night. MICHAEL Michael Kors has a killer handsome gold flat sandal for $178.00. Kors’ silver leather ballet moccasins ($110.00) and JCrew’s silver ballet slippers ($98.00) are comfortable shine for closed toe moments, and Gap’s silver tee strap sandal for $19.99 is unbeatable. Banana Republic has a silver gladiator sandal for $98.00 that I need to own NOW. A great silver clutch is at Club Monaco , and JCrew’s large silver hobo ($149.99) may be all you need to get the style vibe out.
So, go ahead, DARE to try a metallic something and lmk if it’s worth its style weight in gold!